Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Grace & Poise - Seven Sensational Questions with Grace “Under Pressure” Howell, pro stock rookie driver for the NHRA

Phoenix Firebird Raceway - Chandler, AZ - Feb 18, 2012

Goin' Rounds:  Do you remember your first win light?

Grace Howell:  I do.  I was eight years old and I was racing junior dragsters in Jackson, SC, at my local track.  I lucked-up somehow, I don’t know how, and I won my first race! (Ha!) At that age, I thought, “Hey, this must be easy!” Of course though, its not.

GR:  Why did you decide to drag race?

GH:  I grew up around drag racing. My father was a drag racer and still races stock eliminators.  My mother raced until just before I was born. I’m really fortunate to have them.  My parents were really supportive.

GR:  Why did you choose to race in the NHRA and not NASCAR?

GH:  I’ve grown up around drag racing, because my parents raced. I love everything about it - the camaraderie and the community.  It’s a sport where a person can got to the local drag strip and run his (or her) car on a Thursday night or whatever night, and have fun at the drag strip. That’s something that you just can’t do in NASCAR.  Also, here at the drag strip spectators and fans can meet us and see the cars up close.  We love all of that.
           
GR:  Why, in your opinion, do we find more women and minorities in the NHRA than in NASCAR?

GH:  When it comes to drag racing, women and men are more equally matched. It requires a lot of upper body strength to steer cars around the track in NASCAR, which makes it tougher for women.  Plus, NHRA does a great job of opening itself to women and minorities.

GR:  Is there any rivalry between you and Erica Enders?

GH:  Not really.  Erica has done a lot to pave the way for females in the pro stock series.  I think that she has done a great job and I’m glad to be out here racing against her.

GR: As a driver for FORD, do you feel that you’re receiving the same media push from FORD that is being given to Courtney Force or has been given to Ashley Force in the past? 

GH:  I appreciate what FORD has done for us, and what they have done with us with regard to marketing, but they definitely have their focus on the funny cars right now.  I would love for FORD to show a little more interest to pro stock cars. After all, I think that the pro stock cars are more similar to Mustang. I would love for them to take a greater interest, but they’re doing what they think is best for racing at the moment.

GR:  Whom do you look up to in the drag racing world?

GH:  Mainly my parents, I really appreciate everything that they have taught me and done for me.   But you know, everyone has been helpful and encouraging to me. I feel like I can learn a little bit from everyone in this sport.  Although he wasn’t a real drag racer, I also loved watching Steve McQueen.

GR:  When will we see you in the winner’s circle?

GH:  If not tomorrow, then very soon!




1 comment:

  1. watch NHRA Summit racing Southern Nationals exciting match of ufc 2015 Mello Yello Drag Racing Series Scheduled on 15 to 17 may 2015 you can watch it online by just visiting the link below




    Watch NHRA Summit racing Southern Nationals live

    Watch NHRA Summit racing Southern Nationals online

    Watch NHRA Summit racing Southern Nationals live streaming


    ReplyDelete